Subject: Re: ...or not
To: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
From: Donn Cave <donn@oz.net>
List: port-bebox
Date: 02/01/2001 23:58:48
Quoth Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>:
| OK.  It's closer...  It brings up the blue & red Be logo now and runs
| the floppy for a while.  Then nothing.  The floppy light stays off.  The
| screen still has the Be logo.  The two columns of leds have only the
| lower led lit.  This is with both inst_vga.fs and generic_vga.fs.
|
| What should be happening at this point?  I was expecting the screen
| to clear and print stuff in VGA text mode...

Right, it should.  My floppy drive light looks about the same as
yours, takes less than a minute loading from the floppy drive and
then the light goes off.  At that moment the monitor resets and
I get the usual NetBSD boot screen, black and white, green and
white and then back to black and white.  There's a point in the
device configuration where all the LEDs come on, on both sides,
and stay that way for a few seconds;  later, at the end of the
procedure the floppy drive light blinks and the LED's come up a
little on one side and then back down.

So I don't know.  It would be easy to suspect that it failed to
configure the video, but I have the same video hardware in mine.
It could be something else failing in the initial boot.  I don't
know, would you expect NetBSD 1.3 to proceed with the boot even
if it failed to configure a console?  Since you don't see any
LED activity, I'm wondering if that's a clue that something else
aborted the boot.

	Donn Cave, donn@oz.net