Subject: Re: NetBSD/bebox 1.5?
To: Craig Turner <optician@rebel.net.au>
From: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polderland.nl>
List: port-bebox
Date: 11/09/2000 10:36:36
On Thu 09 Nov 2000 at 17:33:12 +1030, Craig Turner wrote:
> It seems I'm totally out here... but I had understood that all of the
> 603/66s had been the batch that got recalled. So if you've got a BeBox
> that runs R5, it has to be dual 133, if you've got a 66 it can't run past
> DR7 (like me). Didn't they make all the upgrades dual 133.

No, many people upgraded but not all. But there were several hardware
revisions of the dual-66. Only the last one could be upgraded past some
point (could be DR7 as you say), because it needed more EEPROM space
for the boot roms. But, I *was* under the impression that all BeBoxen
would have been upgraded at least that far.

The dual-133 upgrade came out pretty soon after I got my Box. It cost
almost as much money as I had just spent already, so I didn't do it.
Soon after that, Be stopped making Boxen altogether, saying "use a Mac".
And not much later again, they said "get an Intel box". Of course, I had
bought my BeBox because I did not want an Intel box, and not really a
Mac either, coming from the Amiga camp. So now I have an Alpha.

>   - C
-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert - rhialto@polder    -- Ah only did well at school
\X/ land.nl       -- tae git intae an O level class tae git away fae Begbie.