Subject: Re: Netbsd 1.6.1 install
To: Olivier VANONI <ovanoni@icor.fr>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 11/12/2003 07:58:23
On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 12:20:22PM +0100, Olivier VANONI wrote:
> Hi everybody.
>
> I have downloaded Netbsd 1.6.1 and now I try to install it.
> Some details :
> The HD is a new one, Seagate ST 33232A, with only one
> 500 Mb BGM partition used to boot the TOS, formatted with
> HDDriver 8.01 and all the files to accces the CDRom.

I assume:
  - you have the documentation at hand:
     ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6.1/atari/INSTALL.html
  - you have more than 6 MB RAM
  - you want to be able to boot both NetBSD and TOS/GEM on the same disk

> I made the hades boot floppy using rawwrite.
> I also made the miniroot floppy, since I understood it was
> mandatory.

The sysinst.fs floppy would be better.

> Now I launch :
> netbsd -Db hades

assuming 'loadbsd -b <whatever you renamed the file too>' here...

> First of all, the system detects a 040 CPU, not a 060. It was
> same with 1.5 and 1.6. But it continues.
> Then the system detects all the hardware, and sees a ET6000
> instead of a ET6100.

Both things are weird, but since the system seems to boot, let's ignore it
for the moment.

> I set the root and the dump partition on HDFD0b, with the
> miniroot floppy inserted.

Here something is wrong... You should re-read the section 'Using loadbsd.ttp'.
I guess you should be entering 'md1a' as the root partition, but this
depends on your situation.

> When the system asks to change the label, this is what I have
> a  root  undefined
> b  swap  undefined
> c  user  undefined
> d  disk  MSDOS
>
> I set the parameters for a and b (NBD and SWP) but the system
> refuses to write when I try to do so. IOCTL error.
> Did I missed something ?

I am completely at loss about where you are in the process at this moment.
Can you describe in more detail how you got here?

> Some questions :
> Do I need to make the partitions for Root, swap ... before to
> install NetBsd ?

It depends, but not neccessarely. Most of the info in in the section:
  'Preparing your hard disk for the NetBSD installation.'

> There is a problem with my ET6000 vdo card : At the first trial
> to install Netbsd all is fine on the console screen.
> If I reboot, it's ok for the TOS but when I launch loadbsd -Db netbsd,
> there is garbage on the screen, noting readable.
> However I can type 'reboot' but it remains the same.
>
> If I plug the ET6100 instead of the 6000, it's OK. The console
> screen remains perfect. It is like if the ET6000 is badly
> re-initialized. But the ET6000 works great in Tos/Magic/jinnee
> unlike the ET6100 which is OK in TOS mode but not with Magic/Jinnee.
> What do you think of this ?

I have no idea. I have used both et6000 and et6100 in my Hades, but only
with TOS/GEM and NetBSD. It worked fine. But if the et6000 is recognized as
an et6100, things might go wrong. The initialisation code is different.
I am curious about the pci-id's of the cards since that is how they are
told apart.

Leo.