Subject: Re: installing Netbsd
To: Olivier Liess <olivier.liess@oreka.com>
From: Dave Berger <dberg@media.mit.edu>
List: port-atari
Date: 02/18/2001 12:41:27
> From: "Olivier Liess" <olivier.liess @ oreka.com>
>
> I booted under TOS, with no other prog launched, but I can't give you the
> exact message 'cause I forgot the files :-(

  Ah, if I understand correctly, you don't want to make the boot
floppies?  I didn't either, I don't think (it's been years since
I did a fresh NetBSD install), but I had to, and they worked...

> I am trying to install it on a 1.6Mo IDE drive, using hddriver to format
> (and sometimes partition) the disk (1.6 is too big for ahdi as I know)

  If on that drive there are no GEM partitions that you want to
keep, try letting the NetBSD installation process do the parti-
tioning instead just to see if that works.  (Be careful to par-
tition the right drive if you have more than one, of course).

  If it does work, you now may have a drive that works w/NetBSD,
but can't be shared w/TOS (unless this has changed recently?).
At least you'll know that you can run NetBSD, and can retry the
installation a different way if you need to.  The (cool new) u-
tility ahdilabel(8) may be of interest for sharing drives w/TOS.

Cheers, -Dave