Subject: Re: NetBSD testing on the Milan040
To: Fred Horvat <fmh@netzero.net>
From: Michael Schwingen <rincewind@discworld.dascon.de>
List: port-atari
Date: 09/23/2000 21:26:40
On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 08:17:04PM -0400, Fred Horvat wrote:
> I just though of a possible way to get NetBSD running on the Milan040
> without having the proper S3 Video driver written yet.  This way until the
> video driver is written the kernal and other applications can be tested.
> The default video mode on the Milan without a video driver is ST High or
> 640x400 B/W.  I have never installed/used NetBSD yet.  I'm not a Unix person
> yet either.  But during the installation of NetBSD can you force the video
> mode to ST High?

The default mode is 640*480, monochrome. You do not need to program anything
for that mode, since TOS has already set it up for you before executing the
boot sector code.

If you want text mode instead, that is easy too: the graphics card is in
VGA-compatible mode (until the S3 VDI driver is executed in the auto folder
under TOS), so switching to text/graphics mode requires no S3-specific code.
Actually, TOS uses only the standard VGA registers to switch to 640*480
mode.

I can supply code snippets for this tasks if it helps.

cu
Michael
--
Michael Schwingen, Ahornstrasse 36, 52074 Aachen