Subject: A NetBSD/atari todo list...
To: None <port-atari@netbsd.org>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 08/28/2000 21:40:42
I compiled a little list of things that I think need to be done for NetBSD/
atari. If you are missing things, please say so. Eventually, I'd like to
see this list on www.netbsd.org. In the hope that people are willing to
select items that they are interested in and put some effort in them.
Some of the items below are already partly taken care of, but none are
too overloaded with volunteers yet ;-)

    - Adaptec2940 Support

      The new driver code does not work at all and the old driver code
      only works partially. The problem seems to be somewhere in the DMA
      handling. Matching the cards cache-line size and buffer alignment
      to the DMA burst requirements of the Hades does not work however.
      Since there is absolutely no cooperation from adaptec in supplying
      info, the solution probably depends on black-arts. I am playing with
      it every once in a while...

    - wscons

      Mostly ready for the Hades VGA part. The keyboard part need to be
      cleaned up heavily. I have not done anything on the framebuffer
      (TT/Falcon) side of things.

    - VGA cards (non-Tseng)

      These pose a problem since I somehow these cards need to be tweaked
      into standard VGA mode to make them work on NetBSD.
      I am currently working a bit on this, I need it to get the S3 card
      on my Milan working. I am currently looking at an x86 emulator
      (ftp://ftp.scitechsoft.com/devel/x86emu/) in conjunction with a
      simplistic /dev/pci (to make pci spaces accessible in userland).
      I have the emulator working up to a point that is correctly runs
      the bios of my et6100 and S3Trio.

    - Sysinst

      For systems with more than 4MB memory, I'd like to move to sysinst and
      a 1.44MB floppy image. Systems with less then 4MB must stay on a 1MB
      floppy image (memory constraint). I think they will have to do with
      the current minirootfs-install with networking ripped out. The latter
      is caused by a tendency for all tools to grow fatter over the years.
      I cannot make the program set of the 1.3 miniroot fit in 1.5 :-(
      This item involves the implementation of sysinst for the atari, create
      atari specific docu and test it.

    - Milan I

      I currently have a Milan I to play with. I haven't done very much
      with it until now,  apart from collecting and connecting all basic
      hardware. Well, it boots TOS from the Milan boot-floppy.

    - Medusa T40

      Currently not supported. Porting efforts should be done by someone
      who owns one. I will help out in ideas and other secondary support,
      but I won't do the bulk of the porting effort.

    - Snapshots

      It would be nice to have snapshots out on a somewhat regular basis.

    - Generic softints

      Implement the generic sofint mechanism.

    - cf_unit abuses

      Get rid of those... I already nuked some of them, but there are
      probably some remaining. This needs to be checked and fixed.

    - Documentation

      There are a few items here. Most of them should be repeatedly
      run over.
        - Do a sanity check on the install and beginner_install documents.
          Do they still advise reasonable filesystem sizes? What is the
          impact of ahdilabel on beginner_install.
        - Check the FAQ. Are all items and answers still valid?
        - Do we have manual pages of all atari specific things? Which
          are missing?

Leo.