Subject: Re: NetBSD on a Medusa
From: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
List: port-atari
Date: 02/20/2000 13:03:57
> When I read ET4000 - as I still don't have a Riebl Card to populate the
> VME bus slot on my TT, and the BioNet VME card is unsupported, does enyone
> know, whether a Nova ET4000 is supported? (ET4000W32 ISA Card with VME
> bus bridge stuff).

At the moment, the ET4000 driver has only been tested with the Crazy Dots II
card (this is the only card I have ;-).  There is (untested) support for the
Spektrum I and Spektrum TC.  If you know where the register and framebuffer
live, it should be possible to support [1] other ET4000 cards too.  If you're
willing to test things out, I can give it a go.  A slight snag is that I'm
quite short of free time at the moment :-(

I also added Crazy Dots support to the X server.  It might just work (TM) for
the Nova once the device driver supports it (unless it has it's own set of
idiosyncracies like the CD II).  The X server isn't perfect at maximum clock
rate, as the way it programs the chip [2] makes it suffer from power drain
problems - when the disk is accessed heavily, the screen wobbles ;-(  However,
as the Nova is a ET4000W32 card, it should work with the accelerated X server,
so you might not see this problem.

[1]  No console/tty support - I suppose I should add it but I (almost) always
use X ;-)

[2]  I presume this is because of the way X programs the chip, as NVDI is rock
steady at the same resolution/clock but it appears to use different timing
parameters.

--
                    My other computer also runs NetBSD
                          http://www.netbsd.org/