Subject: Re: plip
To: None <port-atari@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Schwingen <rincewind@discworld.dascon.de>
List: port-atari
Date: 11/03/1999 01:04:03
On Mon, Nov 01, 1999 at 09:22:33AM +0100, Leo Weppelman wrote:
> There is no PLIP implementation for NetBSD/Atari that I know of. I looked at
> it once, but I dropped it. The problem is that (as Martin-Eric also mentions)
> the atari hardware is not compatible with the PC-hardware. As far as I
> understood, it was not easy to make a PLIP implementation that was compatible
> with x86 PC-hardware.

It should be possible, provided you accept using a little electronics in the
cable instead of a straight connection - you need 5 bits of input and
output, which should be possible using a 74LS244 and a 74LS373/374 or
similar.

However, since the Linux PLIP transfers the data in nibbles to be compatible
with every old standard PC parallel port (and DOS packet drivers), the
atari plip might give a better performance.

cu
Michael
--
Michael Schwingen, Ahornstrasse 36, 52074 Aachen