Subject: Re: ATARITT
To: Jan-Hinrich Fessel <oskar@zippo.unna.ping.de>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 09/08/1999 10:13:48
On Tue 07 Sep 1999, Jan-Hinrich Fessel wrote:

> > I saw that FPU_EMULATE is defined by default in the ATARITT config. I wonder
> > if there were really TT's sold without the 68882.
>
> As far as I know, there was no TT without FPU.
> But on the other hand, for a generic TT config it does no real harm for the
> install kernel to FPU_EMULATE.  It would be fine to have a prebuilt kernel
> with FPU support handy.

Yes, but then I could better turn it off in ATARITT kernel and turn it on
in the GENERIC & FALCON kernels. Since I am sure that there were Falcons
sold without FPU.

[ 1.44 MB floppy detect ]
> I'll dig into the old Atari developer docs, if I find them, that is.
> Probably I can resurrect the old MINIX sources fot the TT and look at them,
> but...

Would you be willing test the 1.44MB detection when the info-digging turns
up something useful? I have a 720KB drive, so that much I can test myself ;-)

[ problem loading kernels ]
> > What is the exact message? What is your RAM configuration?
>
> Currently it is 2ST/8TT

That should be enough... Mmmm, I see that the GENERIC kernel has the
RELOC_KERNEL option active while ATARITT has not...
Can you try 'loadbsd -Dtw GENERIC.v6'? This gives some debugging info
but does _not_ start the kernel. This way, we can find out if the problem
starts before or after the kernel starts running.

> The message is:
> NetBSD/Atari boot loader ($Revision: 1.3 $)
>
> \[spinning for some time]
>
> and two bombs only on the GENERIC.v6 kernel.

That would make it 'illegal instruction'.

Leo.