Subject: Re: DISREGARD: Re: HELP: need 1.3I kernel
To: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 12/15/1998 09:30:01
On Mon 14 Dec 1998, maximum entropy wrote:
> >Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 17:03:23 -0500 (EST)
> >From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
> >
> >Can anyone help me out with a 1.3I GENERIC or ATARITT kernel?
>
> Never mind.  I was able to recover by downloading the snapshot
> miniroot, booting from the snapshot kernel and miniroot, mounting my
> hard disks, and copying the 1.3I kernel from my netbsd partition to
> the TOS partition.

Great! I hope you didn't loose too much of your filesystem....

> >Related question:  Exactly how big can bootxx be before it smashes
> >into important data on the disk?
>
> I'm still interested in learning the answer to this question.

You shouldn't have modified the length coded (and checked) in the Makefile...
If you take a look at .../arch/atari/include/disklabel.h, down at the bottom
of the file, I think you'll understand why. The bootblock structure
defined there, describes the layout of a bootblock (surprise ;-). As you
see, the bootxx (secondary boot) code, is written at the end of the bootblock.
If you make the secondary boot code bigger, it runs into the next block.
That block contains the filesystem superblock (if I recall correctly).

Leo.