Subject: Re: X11
To: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 12/15/1998 09:58:21
On Sun 13 Dec 1998, maximum entropy wrote:

> What's the correct way to install a working X11 system these days?
> The FAQ at http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/atari/faq.html seems to be a
> bit crufty.

I probably should remove that section out of the FAQ *sigh*

The current installation procedure for X11 looks basically like:
  - install xserver.tgz, xbase.tgz, xfont.tgz and mayby xcontrib.tgz. You
    can do this throught the miniroot (you exercised part of that procedure
    lately ;-), or do something like:
       (cd /; tar zxvf <file to extract> )
  - Uncompress the fonts - if I recall correctly, the current Xservers can't
    handle compressed fonts.
  - Link the correct Xserver to /usr/X11R6/bin/X

I would appreciate it, if someone who recently tried to install X tries
to write up the correct steps so it can be added to the FAQ...

Leo.