Subject: CD writer & NetBSD Atari
To: (NetBSD port-atari) <port-atari@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Brandt <mike@wowbagger.pc-labor.uni-bremen.de>
List: port-atari
Date: 09/02/1998 23:37:51
Hi,

just a short info for anybody who might be interested in using a CD writer:
Last weekend I managed to successfully write 2 CD with a borrowed external
Plextor CD writer on a TT. Writing with single and double speed caused no
problems, the next time I'll try 4x speed, too.

The writer was recognized by the 1.3.2 kernel as an unknown SCSI device
(/dev/uk0). I used cdrecord 1.6 to burn the CDs, which generates the necessary
SCSI commands.

An interesting problem occured when I examined the new CDs later on with my
CDROM drive: There were two directories which couldn't be read. Upon closer
examination I noticed them to be nested 8 levels deep. As far as I remember
there is some kind of limit in the definition of the ISO-9660 filesystem for
the nesting of directories --- maybe this has something to do with it. On the
other hand there was no such problem with the CD on a linux box I tried later.

Greetings

Mike

Hiroshima 45 - Tschernobyl 86 - Windows 95