Subject: Re: UVM, kernels and building -current
To: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 07/30/1998 16:00:46
[ Sorry that this has taken me so long... ]

On Tue 21 Jul 1998, Julian Coleman wrote:
> I've build a -current (11/Jul/1998) kernel with UVM and it seems to be
> running fine on my TT.  It's even been stressed building -current
> and has been OK.
>
> The only thing that I notice is that the mouse movement in X is very
> irregular under load.  Under moderate load, if I move the mouse quickly
> (say) to the left, it moves both left and right.  As the load increases,
> the irregularity gets worse until I start getting a single character
> repeated until I press a key.  It's not always the same character.  This
> happens with both the original mouse and also my new mouse.  I'm not sure
> if this is related, but on starting X, I received :
>
> 	kbd: Unknown packet 0xfd

It looks as a missed interrupt or a (silently dropped packet). Maybe you
should add a diagnostic when a packet is dropped (kbd.c: line 281).

> I can't remember if this was the case under 1.3.2.  I'll see if the old
> kernel will run with most of userland updated to -current.

It probably will exept the libkvm related stuff...

[ About the GENERIC config ]

I agree to the statement that the 'GENERIC' config file should mention
everything a port supports. AFAIK this is the purpose of this file. I did
my best to get the current GENERIC config up-to-date. Let me know if I
missed something...

[ build/man errors ]
All fixed now, I think. Thanks!

Leo.