Subject: UVM, kernels and building -current
From: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
List: port-atari
Date: 07/21/1998 22:28:31
I've build a -current (11/Jul/1998) kernel with UVM and it seems to be
running fine on my TT.  It's even been stressed building -current
and has been OK.

The only thing that I notice is that the mouse movement in X is very
irregular under load.  Under moderate load, if I move the mouse quickly
(say) to the left, it moves both left and right.  As the load increases,
the irregularity gets worse until I start getting a single character
repeated until I press a key.  It's not always the same character.  This
happens with both the original mouse and also my new mouse.  I'm not sure
if this is related, but on starting X, I received :

	kbd: Unknown packet 0xfd

I can't remember if this was the case under 1.3.2.  I'll see if the old
kernel will run with most of userland updated to -current.

When I was editing the kernel config, I thought a few extra things should
be added (commented out probably) to the GENERIC config (IMHO).  There is :

	pseudo-device	ipfilter

but not :

	options	PFIL_HOOKS
	options	IPFILTER_LOG
	options	IPFILTER_DEFAULT_BLOCK

Also the PPP options :

	options	PPP_FILTER
	options	PPP_BSDCOMP
	options	PPP_DEFLATE

I only discoverd this by reading options(4) :

	options	KERNEL_RELOC

And finally :

	se*	at scsibus? target ? lun ?	# SCSI ethernet

The 'make build' failed in /usr/src/sys/arch/atar/stand/installboot with :

	cc -O -Wall -Werror  -c disklabel.c
	In file included from disklabel.c:35:
	/usr/include/ufs/ffs/fs.h:161: syntax error before `ufs_daddr_t'
	/usr/include/ufs/ffs/fs.h:204: syntax error before `ufs_daddr_t'

This is because there is no definition of 'ufs_daddr_t'.  This can be fixed
by :

*** disklabel.c.orig	Thu Feb 29 12:21:05 1996
--- disklabel.c	Tue Jul 21 22:01:13 1998
***************
*** 32,37 ****
--- 32,38 ----

  #include <sys/types.h>
  #include <sys/param.h>
+ #include <ufs/ufs/dinode.h>
  #include <ufs/ffs/fs.h>
  #include <sys/disklabel.h>
  #include <machine/ahdilabel.h>

Finally, I see that the manual page for 'msconfig' refers to 'mouseconfig'
everywhere.

    1024/55A5BC19        0F 3F 62 56 18 10 8B 84  43 8F F4 94 93 37 76 AA

S.E.P.