Subject: Re: some questions
To: Andreas Eltrich <elchy@efs.camelot.de>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 07/14/1998 16:19:07
On Fri 10 Jul 1998, Andreas Eltrich wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've some questions concerning NetBSD-1.3.2 on my TT:
>
> - there is a problem with the Modem-2 port. I've connected a nullmodem
> cable from my ISDN router to this port. This works fine with GEM (CoNnect
> terminal program), so it can't be a hardware problem. When I type "cu -l
> /dev/mdm02" I get a "cu: write: Input/output error" when typing any
> character in the terminal. "stty -f /dev/mdm02 -a" seems to be okay. The
> port is set to 9600/8N1/no handshake. Is this a known problem? Is it likely
> to be fixed soon? As far as I remember this problem occurs with the Modem-1

It is not a known problem (at least for me ;-) I guess it has todo with
the cu config - assuming it did not work on pre 1.3.2. Since you want no
handshake, make an entry in the /etc/uucp/port file that looks like:
   port port1
   hardflow false
   device /dev/mdm02

> port too. I once tried to use the SERCONSOLE option without success.

Note that if you want to use of a serial console that a carrier must be
present _during_ boot to make this the actual console.

> - fd1, my external DD drive, isn't recognized when there is a floppy in the
> drive at boot time. When it's empty, it is recognized correctly:

Mmm. I don't know if my external floppy drive is still functional. I'll
undust it and give it a try ;-)

>     fdc0 at mainbus 0
>     fd0 at fdc0: 720KB 80 cyl, 2 head, 9 sec
>     fd1 at fdc0: 720KB 80 cyl, 2 head, 9 sec
> Another question: There is a HD-disk in my internal HD drive - why does the
> kernel not recognize it? Mounting the HD floppy or accessing it with the
> mtools is possible anyway. Could this be a problem if I would try to use a
> HD boot disk?

I'm still searching for a method to find out the drive type at autoconfig
time. There is a dipswitch set, if only I knew how I could read those bloody
switches :-( It shouldn't be a problem for the boot disk though. Just select
'md1a' when the kernel asks for a root device. You can easily try this by
putting an unzipped miniroot.fs.gz (from .../NetBSD-1.3.2/atari/installation)
on an HD floppy and trying to boot. It won't do any harmful things to your
system unless you tell it to ;-)

> - Is floppy formatting planned to be supported? Currently "fdformat" tells,
> that "device /dev/rfd1b does not support floppy formatting: Inappropriate
> ioctl for device". But rebooting to TOS for disk formatting is pretty
> annoying ;)

For the Falcon/TT I have not planned to fix floppy formatting. I will leave
this area for someone else ;-)

> - I am planning to build my own "fixit"-floppy with my custom kernel and
> some tools on it. Has anybody done so before and can describe the
> neccessary steps to build such a (HD-)floppy disk?

You need 2 floppies (3 if you plan to use 720Kb). One floppy with the above
mentioned miniroot.fs and the other a copy of the TT bootflop with your
own kernel. That's about it. Just type 'n' if the installer asks you if
you want to go on. You will than be dropped on a shell-prompt and can
start the 'fixit' procedure ;-)

Leo.