Subject: Re: X server (FBdev) on Falcon
To: None <port-atari@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Thomas Gerner <thomas@murmel.camelot.de>
List: port-atari
Date: 06/07/1998 18:38:06
On Sun, Jun 07, 1998 at 11:09:38AM +0100, chris_gray wrote:
> > As far as I konw the X fonts archive contains compressed fonts, but
> > unfortunately the Server can't work with compressed fonts. Can it
> > be that your fonts are compressed?
>
> Indeed it could. :[  So I should uncompress them?  Will do.

As an alternative I can send you a X server which should work with
compressed fonts. The reason why the Atari servers on ftp.netbsd.org
can't use compressed fonts is that the servers are XFree 3.2 while the
other parts are XFree 3.3. But I guess using compressed fonts will
slow down the server, because the server must uncompress every font
every time which the font is asked for. The advantage of compressed
fonts is that it uses less disk space.

Thomas