Subject: Re: Tty patches applied to -current
To: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 03/25/1998 16:38:42
On Wed 25 Mar 1998, Julian Coleman wrote:
> > I haven't decided what to call the dailin/dialout nodes yet... It would be
> > nice to have a logical connection between the two. Personally I was thinking
> > to split the nodes into 2 directories:
> >     /dev/ttyin
> >     /dev/ttyout
> >
> > This sceme was mentioned by Greg Woods on tech-kern. All the other scemes seem
> > to loose on the atari-port since we have mdm0[12] and ser[01]...
> > Anyway, I haven't decided yet and that's why I haven't changed the MAKEDEV
> > script yet. Feel free to comment ;-)
>
> Umm, I'm not really a fan of directories in the /dev space (yes, I know
> there is /dev/fd/).  Trouble is (as you say), the current naming scheme
> doesn't leave much choice.  We could always change to /dev/tty[0-3] ...

I considered that too, however this is annoying (at least that is what I
think ;-) because there is no relationship between the labels on the
connectors and the tty belonging to them. If this doesn't matter I could
as well keep the current names and call the dial-out nodes cua[0-3] ;-))

> PS.  I have the Xserver working on the Crazy Dots card (although it is not
> too stable at the maximun pixel clock - although this might be power supply
> problems).  The device driver still needs a little work.  I haven't
> progressed on the boot preference program.  Not enough spare time at the
> minute :(

Ah, you got the card back in business?

Leo.