Subject: Re: ET4000 questions
From: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
List: port-atari
Date: 03/13/1998 13:09:48
Thomas Gerner wrote:
> I really think it is better to do things on chip version. It is true, that
> there is currently no plain et4000 card for the PCI bus (at least I don't
> know any), but there are et6000 cards, which are most compatible to the
> et4000, but some things must be done in a different way. If we one day add
> support for et6000 it would be nice if many things are already done. Doing
> things depending on chip version is really better than doing on bus type.

OK, I will add this to grfabs_et.c.

> Currently the X server does no PCI probe, because there is no interface
> in NetBSD Atari which would allow this. As far as I remember the XFree
> PCI probe works in a manner that the server access the PCI config register.
> Better is using a way "if (et4chipversion == ....", you know. This is the
> way the XFree driver do things and we really should do it in the same
> way.

I will add this here too.  This makes it quite simple to add to the Xserver,
as all the detection is already done.  Last night, I added the clock setting
at iobase+0x00 to the ET4000 initialisation.  640x480 and 800x600 modes were
OK [*], but I still can't get 1024x768 to work.  I shall try converting some
of the modes from VMG to XF86Config modelines and see if that is any better.

In the Xserver, inw and outw are defined as two byte read/writes.  Will this
always work on the TT?  Would it not be better to use the single word (16bit)
read/write (that is #ifdef 0)?  Or will that not work on the Hades?

Thanks,

[*] The palette is still too dark and the overscan colour is still dark
green :(

--
    1024/55A5BC19        0F 3F 62 56 18 10 8B 84  43 8F F4 94 93 37 76 AA

S.E.P.