Subject: Re: ET4000 questions
From: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
List: port-atari
Date: 03/12/1998 16:31:46
Concerning the kernel ET4000 initialisation ...

... Thomas Gerner wrote:
T> Don't know, I first must try this. This may take a while. May be it will
T> affect the behavier of the et4000w32. But normally no one does chip
T> version depending things in a general manner. Better one gets the
T> chip version during the probe and then write something like:
T>    if (et4chipversion == ET4000W32) {
T>        do_the_right_thing
T>    }
T>    if (et4chipversion == ET4000) {
T>        do_the_right_thing
T>    }
T> Look at the Xserver code how to get the chip version.

If it will make a difference, then there needs to be some way of knowing the
bus type of the card.  Or can I do this just by looking at the type of card?
Will there ever be a non-accelerated card on the PCI bus?  Perhaps an extra
flag could added to the et_priv{} struct?  The routines could check whether
the card was VME or PCI (or ... in the future?) and set 0xf3 or 0x73 as
appropriate.  I wouldn't have thought this bit would matter on the PCI bus,
- as the code stands, it sets the card I/O to be 8 bit - but I'm not sure
what _really_ happens.

Concerning the X server ...

... Thomas Gerner wrote:
T> Don't know, must first try. But here is the same as I wrote above.
T>
T> The XFree Source 3.3.1, on which the xsrc tree is based, uses currently a
T> accelerater interface at the SVGA server. Do you uses this interface? The
T> et4000w32 SVGA server will sure use this.

This is indeed a similar problem.  However, I think there is less latitude
to change things if the eventual goal is to get the patches into the main
X tree.  Again, if I do this for all ET4000 (non W32) cards, is this OK?
Also, the X server does do a PCI probe - does this work on the Hades or
does it fall back to determining the card type by probing?  If it finds
the card by looking on the PCI bus, I could use this to determine whether
or not to write to iobase+0x00.

Thanks,

    1024/55A5BC19        0F 3F 62 56 18 10 8B 84  43 8F F4 94 93 37 76 AA

S.E.P.