Subject: Re: Xservers
From: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
List: port-atari
Date: 03/09/1998 13:39:51
Holger Dammann wrote:
> The TC1006 uses a TI RISC-processor TMS320xx (32020 iirc). The MV300-card has a
> "INMOS C IMSG300G-llC" chip. Both types are not very spreaded i think. But for
> TOS there are NVDI-drivers for this cards.

Hmm, I had a quick look around - I can't see any documentation or X support
for either of these :(

> Thomas just told me. My problem is: i'm not able to make such things myself.
> I'm only a user. But one who wants high resolution grafix with many colors :-)
> But perhaps there is someone out there who has done something like i need.
> In a Linux-group i read that the TT must be started under TOS with a gfx-card
> driver. Then Linux can be started in that resolution TOS used before (ie
> 1024x768). Perhaps that method is much easier to realise?

AFAIK (feel free to correct me), Linux does this for the console mode only,
the X servers still need access to the card (and thus an independent or a
grf-based driver).  Juergen Orschiedt has just mailed the Linux 68K list
some patches to do initialisation of SVGA/ET4000-based cards, so this won't
be needed for Linux.  I have the initialisation routines for the Crazy Dots
card done - just yesterday (but no console yet - I am concentrating on X).
So, if you want X on a card, you (or someone) need(s) to write drivers for
it.

If you can get documentation, it should be possible to write a driver.  At
the end of last year, I knew very little about the internal workings of
graphics hardware and the X server - now I know a fair amount more (thanks
also to Thomas)!  So, if you can get the documentation, I should be able
to give you pointers (at least).

    1024/55A5BC19        0F 3F 62 56 18 10 8B 84  43 8F F4 94 93 37 76 AA

S.E.P.