Subject: Re: Panic: MMU fault :(
To: Thomas Gerner <thomas@murmel.camelot.de>
From: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
List: port-atari
Date: 01/05/1998 20:02:40
Thomas Gerner wrote:
> You can't use the XFree86 sources without any changes. If you will do a look
> at the XF68_SVGA Server, you can get diffs from me. The diffs are based on
> XFree86 3.2. (Yes, I know this isn't the latest release). The XF68 server
> works in another way than the XF86 server. While the server on x86 uses a
> banked framebuffer we on the 680x0 uses a linear frame buffer. A linear
> frame buffer is easier to handle.
> I changed the et4000 driver from XFree to switch the chip to linear mode,
> but I have no idea if this currently works with a plain et4000, since
> there are differencies between the different chip versions. What you must
> do is to find the proper register value.

I've you could send me the diffs, that would be great.  I'll have a go at
getting the SVGA server to work with my card.  For the registers, I found :

	http://www.heim2.tu-clausthal.de/PROJEKT/PRG/PCGAMES/tseng.html
	http://www.neutralzone.org/home/faqsys/docs/tseng.txt
	http://ftp.std.com/obi/Standards/VGA/tseng.txt

As far as I can see, the segment/linear mode register is the same for the
ET4000 and ET4000w32.  Will I need to get ite/views working first (or
should I wait and UTSL before asking too many questions? :)?

(The comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video FAQ was also quite interesting reading
while I was searching for ET4000 docs :

	http://dezi.wu-wien.ac.at/~stefan/Video.html
)

I notice references (altavista search) to XF68 for NetBSD/x68k and
Linux/m68k.  I guess these don't share a common root.  The Linux stuff is
in the R6.3 Imakefile, but that is a 'Frame Buffer Device Server' not a
card driver, so I guess the R6.3 sources won't have much useful for me
in them.

> There will be no X distribution for 1.3, but I have a new TT/Falcon
> X-Server based on XFree which must be tested on a TT (Falcon is tested by
> myself). If you like to test it you can get a copy, but you must be able
> to test all video modes.

I can test all but TT-high if that is any use to you.  Wonder how many days
it will take to build X on a TT (must try a make in /usr/src too when I
get some more disk space ;-) ...

Thanks,

    1024/55A5BC19        0F 3F 62 56 18 10 8B 84  43 8F F4 94 93 37 76 AA

S.E.P.