Subject: Re: Panic: MMU fault :(
To: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
From: Thomas Gerner <thomas@murmel.camelot.de>
List: port-atari
Date: 01/05/1998 12:23:41
Hello,

[ ..... ]

> Presumably to use the card, I need to attach a grfet to it?  I'm not quite
> sure how to do that.  Also presumably, I should look at the XFree86 SVGA
> server for X?  I've seen some references to XFree86 - I take it that it is
> the same source?  Will there be an X distribution for 1.3, or should I just
> grab Xdaniver (aka 1.2)?

You can't use the XFree86 sources without any changes. If you will do a look
at the XF68_SVGA Server, you can get diffs from me. The diffs are based on
XFree86 3.2. (Yes, I know this isn't the latest release). The XF68 server
works in another way than the XF86 server. While the server on x86 uses a
banked framebuffer we on the 680x0 uses a linear frame buffer. A linear
frame buffer is easier to handle.
I changed the et4000 driver from XFree to switch the chip to linear mode,
but I have no idea if this currently works with a plain et4000, since
there are differencies between the different chip versions. What you must
do is to find the proper register value.

There will be no X distribution for 1.3, but I have a new TT/Falcon
X-Server based on XFree which must be tested on a TT (Falcon is tested by
myself). If you like to test it you can get a copy, but you must be able
to test all video modes.

Thomas