Subject: Re: 1.3 installation and some questions (long)
From: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
List: port-atari
Date: 12/23/1997 17:01:04
Thomas Gerner wrote:
> There are two XF68 X-Server currently availabel: a SVGA server and a
> W32 server. The SVGA server supports et4000, however this code is not
> tested, because I have only a et4000w32 card. Since this X-Server
> don't depend on the PCI bus, it should run at a Crazy Dots. What
> you need is a kernel driver like that of the Hades. I think this
> one from the Hades can be taken as a base for a et4000 kernel driver.

I shall look at the Hades driver and the SVGA server then.

maximum entropy wrote:
> I can verify that this has been corrected, and working bootblocks (and
> loadbsd) will be in the 1.3 release.

Great!  I'd sort of assumed that from one of the previous messages.

> That is normal.  The drives in the Atari don't support hardware
> detection of the density, so the driver assumes it is a 720K drive by
> default.  The actual density selection used depends on the minor
> device used, as documented in "man 4 floppy".

Yes, I saw that, I just wondered about the bootup message.  Perhaps I should
add a few bits to the FAQ ...

> The '-G' flag is documented in mount_msdos, and has been for quite a
> long time.  Maybe you just missed it?  I'm not sure why you'd rather
> type out 'gemdos' than just '-G'.  I suspect the choice to use a flag
> rather than an option is because options are supposed to be
> generically applicable to more than one filesystem type.

Yes - I must have gone straight past it!  I just thought it was a little
odd to type "mount -t msdos -o ro,-G", but there are other flags, so I
suppose it is consistent.

> I don't know anything about the Crazy Dots II.  Is this a VME-bus
> card?  Do you have any hardware documentation on it?  I may be able to
> help out a little bit.

I've grabbed your driver for your TI card and I also have a (simple) driver
for the LED's on a VME Sun 4 as examples, so with any luck that will be
enough to get me started.  You know if I'm having problems because the
volume of messages will increase!  I'll be away from my machine for a few
days around Christmas, but (hopefully) I'll be able to get started by
about New Year.  I'll try not to get sidetracked with Nethack/QT!

> that's done and out of the way, I plan to start working on either a
> minixfs driver, or on ACSI support.  I haven't decided yet which I
> want to do first, but right now I think it'll probably be minixfs.  I
> don't want to promise too much vaporware though, so pretend I didn't
> say anything :-)

<grin> Well, seeing as the MinixFS source for MiNT is available, I didn't
think it would be too difficult to port!  That's why I mentioned it.  I'm
fairly sure someone mentioned it in the past too.  Then I can backup all
my partitions from NetBSD - which will be much faster than MiNT (I hope!).

> You lucky &%$##!  I went crazy looking for one of those Cabletron
> gadgets earlier this year.

Ah!  I watch uk.adverts.computer regularly and noticed someone selling
some Cabletron kit.  It's the only one I've seen so far though :(.  If
I see another one, I'll mention it on this list.  I'm using a D-Link <->
cartridge port circuit with Kay Roemer's MintNET driver for MiNT but I
thought I'd better look for something else for NetBSD.

> se*	at	scsibus? target ? lun ?

Yep.  Thanks.  I've dumped the source to tape at work.

> excellent networking performance out of the Atari.  All you would need
> is another NetBSD machine, with both a SCSI card and ethernet card.  I
> looked at this a bit before I bought myself my expensive Christmas
> present, but decided it would require a real guru to implement.  Any
> takers? :-)

Hmm, interesting!  Trouble is, I can't see myself needing it.  Then again,
there might be non-Atari users interested too.  Is it bus arbitration that
is needed for this?  Is that supported already?  I know a little about the
networking side, so if you do start on it ... :-)

Thanks for the info,

    1024/55A5BC19        0F 3F 62 56 18 10 8B 84  43 8F F4 94 93 37 76 AA

S.E.P.