Subject: Re: 1.3 installation and some questions (long)
To: None <port-atari@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
List: port-atari
Date: 12/21/1997 17:14:56
Hi,
On Sat, Dec 20, 1997 at 05:28:02PM -0500, maximum entropy wrote:
> >From: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
> >One oddity is that the floppy light stays on (from the 'scsicbus0 at ...'
> >line on bootup) until floppy is inserted.  Also I notice :
> >	fd0 at fdc0: 720KB 80 cyl, 2 head, 9 sec
> >even though I have a 1.4M floppy.
> That is normal.  The drives in the Atari don't support hardware
> detection of the density
just a quick idea: One of the dip switches (#7?) in a TT is used for
this purpose. TOS is capable of reading the switch setting and displays
the "high density" button in the format floppy dialog if the switch is
set to on. NetBSD/atari could use the same strategy.

> The actual density selection used depends on the minor
> device used, as documented in "man 4 floppy".
This should also be replaced by a dynamic selection a la TOS. Try to read
side 0, track 0, sector 0 in high density mode. If it fails, try it again
in double density mode. If that doesn't work either, complain.

/s/Udo
--
Udo Erdelhoff						ue@nathan.ruhr.de