Subject: Re: Jumper Settings for Riebl Card - SOLVED!
To: None <port-atari@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
List: port-atari
Date: 09/17/1997 19:55:42
Hi everybody,
it was a long and hard battle but my Riebl card works. There were some
nasty differences between the information I received and the settings
needed by my card. For the archives:

> : From: rnhodek@immd2.informatik.uni-erlangen.de (Roman Hodek)
> : Newsgroups: muc.lists.atarix
> : Subject: Re: L68K: Atari TT Rield ethernet board.
> : I have a jumper docu, but we warned, it was wrong in respect to
> : AUI/BNC switching! Here is what I know:
That was the problem. It seems there are at least two variants of
this card with different jumper settings.

> :    "top side"
> :   +-----------------------------------------------------------------+
> :   |                                                                 |
> : A++  +-----+                                                        ++
> : U||  |  A  |  ++                                                    ||
> : I||  +-----+  || D                                                  ||
> :  ++           ++                                        +-+         || VME
> :   |                                                     | |         ||
> :   |                                                     | | C       ||
> : B |                                                     | |         ||
> : N-+                                                     +-+         ||
> : C |                                                         +---+   ++
> :   |                                                         +---+ B |
> :   +-----------------------------------------------------------------+
> :
> : jumper arrays A+D (J1-6, J7):
> :   all to top    -> BNC (thin Ethernet)
> :   all to bottom -> AUI (thick Ethernet)
That's the first point. My card wants all "A" jumpers to bottom and no
jumper present(!) at "D" for 10Base2 (thin Ethernet) operation.

> : jumper array C (J17-J23):
> :   J22/23 closed -> TT
> :          open   -> MegaSTE
And that's the second difference - for a TT, all C jumpers must be set,
not just J22/23.

(For the records, the "B" jumper setting is set, not set, set)

One friendly soul warned my about the poor quality of the jumpers used
by Riebl. According to him, many "dead" cards can be fixed by checking
and replacing all jumpers.

Thanks to everybody who helped me, everything else is just software :)

/s/Udo
--
Udo Erdelhoff						ue@nathan.ruhr.de