Subject: Re: Serial ports again
To: Michael Brandt <mike@wowbagger.pc-labor.uni-bremen.de>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 09/17/1997 21:06:53
On Wed 17 Sep 1997, Michael Brandt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> just after my question about the availability of the serial 1 port I
> encountered another problem: I tried to use the modem 1 port from seyon and it
> tells me: "Error: /dev/mdm01: Device not configured".
> I'm running a 1.2E system from about June. The MAKEDEV script created the
> /dev/mdm01 file. Has the modem 1 support become available in the meantime? Is
> there something misconfigured in my system or isn't the port available at all?

The names of the atari serial ports are confusing. I choose to follow the
naming convention atari printed in the back of my TT030. This is:
      text     devicename    driver   chip       supported  see note#
      serial1  /dev/ser01             68901       No
      serial2  /dev/ser02     zs0     ZS8530      Yes        1
      modem1   /dev/mdm01     ser0    68901       Yes        2/3
      modem2   /dev/mdm02     zs0     ZS8530      Yes

Note 1:
      On the Hades (and the Falcon???), there is only a 'lan' connector
      available for this port.

Note 2:
      I think Markus told me that there is no connector for this port on
      the Falcon.

Note 3:
      You can use this port as a console. When DCD is supplied during the
      device probing, the mdm01 port will become the system console.

You can check the dmesg output to see if you kernel supports a given port.

I guess the above info should be transferred to the FAQ. Note that I
updated the html-version of the FAQ with the Riebl jumper settings and
TT SCSI info today.

Leo.