Subject: RE: Cross-Compiler available
To: None <port-atari@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael Brandt <mike@wowbagger.pc-labor.uni-bremen.de>
List: port-atari
Date: 09/16/1997 21:27:48
On 16-Sep-97 Udo Erdelhoff wrote:

>I want to include support for DOS-formatted zip disks, but with compile
>times like that, development will take ages.

Support for DOS-formatted ZIP disks is already within the generic kernels,
no need to recompile the kernel just for that.

>I could try to reduce the config file. Do I really need support for ram
>disks and 1.0 and 1.1 compatibility?

You only need support for the ram disk if you want to use your new kernel to be
loaded from the NetBSD boot disk (TOS). You can remove the support with

#options MEMORY_DISK_HOOKS

If you don't want a ram disk for normal operation (after installation) you can
also remove:

#file-system    MFS             # Memory based filesystem

You also can safely remove

#file-system    FDESC           # /dev/fd

/dev/fd is there anyway, I think because of /proc (which should be included of
course).

>Additionally, I'm quite sure that
>I have a 68881 in my TT, why do I have to include FPU-emulation?

You don't have, as far as I know every TT contains a 68882 fpu which is
downward compatible to the 68881. Just remove

#options        FPU_EMULATE     # Support for MC68881/MC68882 emulator
#options        FPSP            # 68040 Floatingpoint support

You may also remove 68040 support and any Falcon stuff (see comments in the
config file) for a TT-only kernel.

Greetings

Mike

Hiroshima 45 - Tschernobyl 86 - Windows 95