Subject: Re: Cross-Compiler available
To: Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 09/16/1997 22:00:19
On Tue 16 Sep 1997, Udo Erdelhoff wrote:
> Hi,
> I tried to build my first NetBSD/atari kernel yesterday evening and was
> quite shocked by the time needed for compilation. I didn't expect my TT
> to be as fast as this system (PC with FreeBSD 2.2-stable), but 4 hours
> is an eternity if you're used to kernel build times of about 8 minutes.
> I want to include support for DOS-formatted zip disks, but with compile
> times like that, development will take ages.

As long as you don't touch param.h before each compile, it is pretty
workable ;-) I made the atari-port on my TT... What helps is a bit of
planning and running 'whole' compiles just before you go to bed (or work ;-).

> I could try to reduce the config file. Do I really need support for ram
> disks and 1.0 and 1.1 compatibility? Additionally, I'm quite sure that

The ram-disks are for install (and recue!) disks only. Dropping the
compat modes does not gain more to a minute or so compile time.

> I have a 68881 in my TT, why do I have to include FPU-emulation?  The

You don't. This is a nice chunk to leave out. You can also drop FALCON_VIDEO
and FALCON_SCSI.

> best solution would be a cross-compiler using FreeBSD/i386 as host
> system and NetBSD/atari as target system. The gcc documentation warns
> that setting up cross-compilers could get difficult if the target
> machine has different word and floating-point formats. Well, Pentium vs
> 68030/68881 is as different as possible :)
>
> Has anybody already tried to do this? I don't really want to reinvent the
> (edged) wheel...

Every now and than there are discussions on current users about this. I don't
know if someone came up with a ready to use solution. You might want to
scan the current-user archives and/or the various faq's. There might be
something on www.macbsd.com too - most mac's are not the fastest machines
either.

Leo.