Subject: Cross-Compiler available
To: None <port-atari@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
List: port-atari
Date: 09/16/1997 12:37:12
Hi,
I tried to build my first NetBSD/atari kernel yesterday evening and was
quite shocked by the time needed for compilation. I didn't expect my TT
to be as fast as this system (PC with FreeBSD 2.2-stable), but 4 hours
is an eternity if you're used to kernel build times of about 8 minutes.
I want to include support for DOS-formatted zip disks, but with compile
times like that, development will take ages.

I could try to reduce the config file. Do I really need support for ram
disks and 1.0 and 1.1 compatibility? Additionally, I'm quite sure that
I have a 68881 in my TT, why do I have to include FPU-emulation?  The
best solution would be a cross-compiler using FreeBSD/i386 as host
system and NetBSD/atari as target system. The gcc documentation warns
that setting up cross-compilers could get difficult if the target
machine has different word and floating-point formats. Well, Pentium vs
68030/68881 is as different as possible :)

Has anybody already tried to do this? I don't really want to reinvent the
(edged) wheel...

/s/Udo
--
Udo Erdelhoff						ue@nathan.ruhr.de