Subject: Re: Atari TT, disk termination, and NetBSD
To: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
From: Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
List: port-atari
Date: 09/14/1997 11:45:15
Hi,
> Thanks! I found them thanks to your diagram, and pulled them. Are
> they actually all the same part? I noticed the middle pack in mine
> had a slightly different part number from the other two.
that's strange, they should be identical. Are you sure that all packs were
produced by the same company? SCSI resistor packs are produced by everybody
and his brother :)

Unfortunately, pulling the resistor packs does not neccessarily solve all
your termination problems. The TERMPWR pin on the TT's SCSI port is not
connected to +5V, external terminators need TERMPWR to work. If you are
using the resistor packs on the external hard disc, you should not
experience any problems. If you are using an external terminator on the
SCSI out port of your external drive, you might experience some very
strange problems if your external devices do not supply TERMPWR.

It's possible to correct Atari's mistake. Unfortunately, the fix requires
soldering on the TT's mainboard. And *that* requires lots of soldering
experience.

/s/Udo
--
Udo Erdelhoff						ue@nathan.ruhr.de