Subject: Atari TT, disk termination, and NetBSD
To: None <port-atari@NetBSD.ORG>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: port-atari
Date: 09/11/1997 02:17:49
Greetings,

I have an Atari TT that currently runs TOS, MiNT and Linux-68k.  I'd
like to get NetBSD installed on it because, well, because Linux sucks
:-).

I've been using NetBSD for some time on i386, pmax, and vax, so I
don't anticipate too much trouble with the general aspects of the
install.  I've read over the NetBSD/atari FAQ's and so on, to get a
grasp on the Atari-specific NetBSD idiosyncracies, and I think I
understand what needs to be done to get it installed.

To perform the installation, I'd like to hook up a new disk
externally, and install to that.  At some point I'll probably swap the
two disks, putting the NetBSD on the internal chain (possibly with
TOS and minixfs partitions on that same disk).

In my experimentation with Linux-68k, I experienced some flakiness
while an external device was connected.  As I understood it, the
internal drive is terminated, and the SCSI controller is terminated,
so after hooking up a terminated external device, one ends up with
three terminated devices on the chain, which doesn't make for a very
stable SCSI chain.  As far as I'm aware, in a configuration with both
external and internal devices, the SCSI controller is in the middle of
the chain and therefore should not be terminated.

So the questions are...am I correct that I need to disable termination
on the SCSI controller before proceeding with this type of
configuration?  Or does the controller automagically
terminate/unterminate itself properly?  The TT documentation makes no
mention of this issue at all.  If it is necessary to remove the
internal termination, where are the resistor packs I need to pull?

When using TOS I used to avoid this issue entirely by simply
connecting external devices on the ACSI bus using an ICD Link.  But I
understand that NetBSD doesn't support ACSI so this doesn't seem to be
an option for my planned configuration.

Thanks for any clues,
entropy