Subject: rescue filesystem overwritten by TOS?
To: None <port-atari@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <D.L.Hastings@exeter.ac.uk>
List: port-atari
Date: 07/10/1997 20:51:33
Apologies if this is the wrong list to ask this, but any help
would be appreciated.

Whilst playing with Diamon Edge tonight I made a horrific error
and managed to write a GEM/DOS header (FAT/directory I guess)
onto my /local ffs partition. Now fsck on that partition reports
bad superblock and states the partition is MSDOS.. The question
is (you guessed it) is there anyway to rebuild the ffs info
that should be at the start of the partition without losing the
files that are still presumably written to it somewhere?

I've tried fsck -b 32 /dev/sd0d and a few other alternate superblock
locations but fsck meerly complains "BAD SUPERBLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG"
and gives up.

Anyone have any ideas? I could really use recovering that data...
naturally I was about to do a backup tonight. *sigh* Tehre's some
source code on there I could do with.

Help!
Dan