Subject: Re: My first kernel runs stable!
To: None <port-atari@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Benjamin Lorenz <benni@schlunz.ps.uni-sb.de>
List: port-atari
Date: 07/06/1997 01:57:01
In article <199707031522.RAA09256@x1c19e02.wau.mis.ah.nl> you write:

>This is a subject that belongs to tech-kern I think. It's not atari specific.
>I think that a default endianess that conforms to the CPU being used makes
>sense (faster at least). I don't have very strong opinions about an option
>to use the 'other' endianess at runtime. Might be nice...

Linux/68k used a big endian ext2fs for a long time, but in the end
a decision was made to change it to little endian, to be compatible
with the i386 ext2fs... Of course, there is a loss in performance.

Best would be perhaps if NetBSD could decide at mounting time if the
filesystem has the right byte order to swap reads/writes
"on the fly" if necessary.

Benni
--
Windows 95 kann alles, wegen der 32 Bit.
Wenn ich 32 Bit getrunken habe, meine ich auch immer, ich könnte alles.