Subject: Re: My first kernel runs stable!
To: None <lorenz@phil.uni-sb.de>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 07/03/1997 17:22:41
Hi Benni,

> Just to let you all know,
>
> my first self compiled kernel runs fine, no major problems!
> And some observations:

Good news ;-)

>  - I compiled ext2fs support in the kernel and... was able
>    to mount my Linux/68k ext2 filesystems! But I had to swap byteorder
>    first (under Linux, using e2fsck -S), making it big endian. I think
>    this is a bug of the NetBSD kernel: It should be able to read/write
>    native (little endian) ext2fs even on a big endian machine like
>    the atari...

This is a subject that belongs to tech-kern I think. It's not atari specific.
I think that a default endianess that conforms to the CPU being used makes
sense (faster at least). I don't have very strong opinions about an option
to use the 'other' endianess at runtime. Might be nice...

>  - installboot does not work anymore without patch: I had to comment
>    out the OS version check to make it work... And, I didn't have to
>    set boot preference to 'netbsd' to actually boot the kernel! Why is
>    installboot trying to change boot preference? (I commented out
>    the call to the switch procedure).

The way the version check is currently handled turns out to be a lot of a
hassle. I'm thinking about adding a 'booter-version' to sysctl. This version
will be bumped only when necessary. So, it's (high) on my list. Problem is
that my regular job is a bit demanding currently ;-(

Leo.