Subject: DOS-formatted ZIP disks?
To: None <port-atari@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
List: port-atari
Date: 06/22/1997 20:46:41
Hi,
I finally managed to get a working installation of NetBSD/atari, the
non-relocating kernel solved my vm_fault problem. I also manged to
install the bootstrap with only minimal problems (1.2's installboot
doesn't like the 1.2E kernel). Getting back into TOS was the bigger
problem... somebody should put nvreset.prg into tools.tos

Unfortunately, one problem remains: NetBSD/atari is unable to read
DOS-formatted ZIP disks. I have an external SCSI zip drive and I'm
able to exchange disks between M$-os-lookalikes, plain TOS (via
BIGDOS), Mag!C version 5 and FreeBSD. I've identified two potential
causes of the problem:

a) The ZIP's rootsector is quite different from a normal TOS root-
sector.
b) It's partition structure is also slightly abnormal. On a zip disk,
only the fourth partition entry is used. To quote FreeBSD's fdisk:

******* Working on device /dev/rsd3 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=96 heads=64 sectors/track=32 (2048 blks/cyl)

parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=96 heads=64 sectors/track=32 (2048 blks/cyl)

Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 1 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 2 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 3 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 4 is:
sysid 6,(Primary 'big' DOS (> 32MB))
    start 32, size 196576 (95 Meg), flag 80
	beg: cyl 0/ sector 1/ head 1;
	end: cyl 95/ sector 32/ head 63

Is there any possibility to convince mount_msdos to mount this disk?

/s/Udo
PS: Just for the records: You can add the Quantum Maverick 540 and
Pioneer DR-10UX to the list of the SCSI disks and CDROMs that can be
used with NetBSD/Atari.

--
Udo Erdelhoff						    ue@nathan.ruhr.de