Subject: Re: 1.2D MMU Fault panics
To: None <D.L.Hastings@exeter.ac.uk>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 05/29/1997 15:31:50
D.L.Hastings@exeter.ac.uk wrote:

> I'm having trouble getting this through to the list (bounces with
> "no route to host netbsd.org" so I'll try sending to you instead. ;)

Weird.... I have it cc'd now, let's see.

> I send this in the vague hope it makes sense to someone... I just
> upgraded to 1.2D in the hope it would cure some of the constant
> crashes than plain 1.2 suffers. Nope. Still getting regular panics -
> often whilst rebooting from the last one. *sigh* The "kernel jumped
> to zero" panics are gone, and the horrible freezing that 1.2 would
> do regularly are gone, but I'm still regularly getting MMU faults.
>
> So, with any luck this might help someone... :
>
> Panic: MMU Fault
>
> _Debugger(8,1dcfda8,7fb9c,7fa07,6) + 6
> _panic(7fa07,0,8,1878c,585800) + 40
> _panictrap(8.402a64d,2,1dcfe00) + b0
> _trap(8,402a6fd,2) + 422
> _addrerr(?)
> _vm_page_copy(145530,144770,a000,88,3) + 120
> _vm_fault(584500,a000,3,0) + 4a0
> _trap(8,4020709,b054) + 384
> _addrerr() + 120

Is there anything below this?
For the Falcon, I somehow suspect the DMA controller. Did you try running
NetBSD from the IDE drive? I don't know if this is an option for you. If
this helps, it makes sense to go diff-ing the SCSI-driver. I can also try
building a 1.2E kernel with an 1.1 SCSI-driver.

> This was with the 1.2D BOOT kernel, dated 2nd April.
>
> (BTW, would it be possible for someone to update the current.tar.gz in
> arch/atari/bin.updates to a set that work with the kernels in
> arch/atari/kernels? The current.tar.gz is dated November and don't work
> with the 1.2D kernels).

I'll do so ASAP. My Hades is currently building a snapshot - I'm having
trouble with ps too ;-) When this is up and running, I'll regenerate the
current.tar.gz file.

> I hope something can be done with these MMU faults - I have a bog standard
> 16Mhz 4Mb Falcon btw - right now I'm seriously regretting upgrading from
> 1.1 - NetBSD 1.1 never ever crashed on me in 6 months of use, whereas
> 1.2 crashed at least twice an evening. 1.2D seems slightly more stable,
> but I'm still getting regular panics. :(

I hope so too...

Leo.