Subject: Re: Success! :-)
To: None <lorenz@phil.uni-sb.de>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 05/27/1997 11:24:33
Hi Benni,

> NetBSD/atari is running now. Problem was -- what else -- my broken
> floppy drive. The kernel was searching for a default root device
> (why is it doing so when booting with -b ??) and was waiting for the
> floppy timeout on fd0 and fd1...

Mmm, this look like a bug.....

> Problems:
>
> As soon as I enable my TT ram (20 MB), I get MMU faults after some
> time of using the system. Without TT ram, everything seems to work
> very well, I succeeded in compiling zsh -- with only 4 Megs of memory
> and intensive swapping!

Looks like your TT-ram is flakey. I had problems with my MegTT board
too a while back (also MMU faults). After carefully selecting my SIMMS
and soldering a selection of capacitors, the problem disappeared.
The problem with instable RAM is that it also infects the buffer cache
and (in the long run) it slowly eats your filesystem :-(
Maybe re-arranging of removing of some SIMMS will work. Using NetBSD
with 4MB memory is not exactly pleasant...

> Well, next I would like to try out X, I already have all the tar files
> at hand, but my kernel has only "1 view configured".
> As I understand it, I need at least 2 views? What to do?

The BOOTX kernel has 4 views. This should work. Another option is building
a custom kernel.

Leo.