Subject: Re: NetBSD-1.2D and ppp peculiarity
To: chris_gray <ep71@bcs.org.uk>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 05/16/1997 22:54:25
chris_gray wrote:

> I've just finished updating my Falcon/FX from 1.2 to 1.2D, and my general
> impression so far is that it's less prone to `freezing'.  However it has
> MMU'd on me a couple of times: if Leo  can tell me exactly what incantations
> he'd like me to murmur at the debugger then I'll gladly do so.

Sad to hear that there are still MMU panics :-( If you type 't' at the
prompt, you will be given a stack trace. Maybe you can write this down
and send it to me (forget the numbers for now, the names are the most
important to start with). What I also like to know is if the stack traces
are alike, if there is some special condition that triggers it etc...
You can also send-pr it if you think that's easier. Anyway, I hope to
see it coming ;-)

> BTW I'm a bit vague about the relationship between 1.2D and 1.2.1; can
> someone explain?

David said this quite right. There seems to be much confusion over this,
caused by the fact that the actual release date of 1.2.1 was later than
a lot of -current snapshots published. One more time:
   1.2.1        : Bug fix release of 1.2 (lots of securety fixes, some
                  VM-fixes)
   1.2[ABCDE...]: -current == 1.2.1 plus a lot of new development like
                  Hades support, VME ethernet ....

> Now about ppp, or rather pppd: the option to install the newly-created
> link as the default route doesn't seem to work any more.  He still tries
> to remove it when the link goes down, though (it was the resulting error
> message which enabled me to work out why Nothing Worked).  Here's my
> /etc/ppp/options file:
> 57600
> crtscts
> defaultroute
> (Yes, I know 57600 seems optimistic, but it seemed to work before).

Mmmm, I can reproduce this too. Right after the connect I see the following
line in my /var/log/messages:
    Send sendto(ppp0, 141.93.32.17.520): Network is down

141.93.32.17 is the host I'm connecting to.  Maybe this is a question for
current-users. It sure worked with 1.2.

Leo.