Subject: Re: New try to install NetBSD on my TT
To: None <leo@ahwau.ahold.nl>
From: Benjamin Lorenz <benni@phil.uni-sb.de>
List: port-atari
Date: 05/15/1997 14:02:25
In article <199705142009.WAA03542@x1c19e02.wau.mis.ah.nl> you write:

>It took me some thought, but I think I found a way to start the installer
>without floppies. This method requires a recent kernel, but I think the
>i'-current' kernels I uploaded in '/pub/NetBSD/arch/atari' are recent
>enough. What you need to do is put the images of the install floppies
>onto an empty partition (The one that you want to use for swap?). If
>you put (or have) an AHDI partitioning on a disk, the kernel can find
>the partition. You can put the images on the partition using dd, like
>    dd if=floppy-image1 of=/dev/<raw-partition> bs=18b
>    dd if=floppy-image2 of=/dev/<raw-partition> bs=18b seek=80
>
>Now boot the kernel like the installer doc. says. Instead of the root
>device 'md0' you use 'sd...' (swap+fstype take the defaults). The 'sd...'
>depends on the partition you prepared of course. I can't help you without
>knowing the disklayout ;-)

Okay... so NetBSD/Atari can't read Sun disklabels? (I thought the Sun
disklabel also specifies the partition layout? Or am I wrong here?)

Well, I can prepare a 230 MB MO disk (which is recognized as second
disk sd1) like the following, using AHDI format:

sd1a: / (40 MB)
sd1b: swap (30 MB)
sd1g: /usr (160 MB)

Will 'cat floppy-image1 floppy-image2 > /dev/sdb2' work, too? (under
Linux, sdb corresponds to sd1...) Or do I have to use dd like you
explained above?

Next problem, when booting the newest kernel with loadbsd -b <kernel>,
I don't get the prompt where I can enter the root device.
Last line is something like: "md0: auto-loading [...] size: <some number>
Then, the system seems to be crashed (cant type anything, no

Is there a problem with the -b option and newer kernels?

Benni

PS: When I specify -a as bootstrap option, the kernel prints
    "no suitable root", as it should...
--
      /'^'\
     ( o o )          Benjamin Lorenz, 66111 Saarbrücken, 0681 / 372253