Subject: Re: ethernet cards
To: None <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: maximum entropy <entropy@zippy.bernstein.com>
List: port-atari
Date: 05/03/1997 19:20:48
>From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
>
>	What size VME cards do ataris take? Would it be possible to
>	use sun VME ethernet cards? (One assumes the NetBSD/sun3
>	drivers would be a good place to start :)

I'm not sure about physical sizes (never having actually seen any VME
boards except those made for the TT).  But from a discussion on
Linux-68k a while back, I gather that the TT uses only "3U" VME cards
while other systems (such as the Sun and Motorola VME systems) use
either "3U" or "6U" cards, with all known ethernet boards being of the
6U type.  The difference between these types of boards is, from what I
understand, the bus sizes -- a 3U system has a 16 bit data bus and a
24 bit address bus.  I don't have information handy about the 6U bus,
but I would venture to guess that it's a 32 bit address bus.

entropy