Subject: Re: boot/display/compiling problems
To: Matti Koskimies <msk@bizar.dystopia.fi>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 02/19/1997 08:05:40
Matti Koskimies wrote:

> First of all, I'd like to know whether it's possible to make NetBSD boot
> through an auto folder program (or something similar) instead of the .ttp
> thing supplied with the installation package (which requires parameters,
> making it unsuitable for the auto folder). This way, I could choose
> between GEM and NetBSD from Xboot, and wouldn't need to have TOS load GEM

You can compile your own loadbsd program of course. The sources can be found
in .../arch/atari/stand/tostools. You need the contents of the directories
loadbsd & libtos. If course, this stuff should be compiled using TOS/GEM...
If you have installed vim (or another editor that allows you to edit binary
files), you could also change the string 'n:/netbsd' to whatever kernel you
would like to boot (as long as the name fits in 80 positions).

> into memory first when loading NetBSD. Ofcourse, I could use the
> bootstrap, but apparently (from what the man page tells me) it doesn't
> give me a choice of booting GEM instead.

I don't know what makes you believe this, but it's not true. You can use the
bootpreference from nvram to select the OS you want to boot. Various apps
are around to let you alter the bootpref (there's one with HDDRIVER).
>From the booter itself, you can start gem by holding the left-shift key during
boot and entering '.tos' at the prompt.

Leo.