Subject: Re: Hullo
To: chris_gray <ep71@bcs.org.uk>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 01/09/1997 14:25:55
chris_gray wrote:

> Thanks, that works except that you have to leave out the -G (TOS floppies
> really are the same as DOS ones, so that makes sense).  Beats me why the
> mount_msdos version didn't work <shrug>.

I agree that the use of the '-G' flags is somewhat vague. The general rule is
that it's only needed on harddisk filesystems.

[ .... ]

> I am wondering: if I 'tar c / ' to dump the entire filestore to tape,
> then rebuild my hard disk, then 'tar x /', should everything work
> again?  I'm already feeling the need for more BSD disc space.

Yes, that should work (if there are files being restored that are currently
executing you should use the --unlink option too). If you only modified/added
stuff in /usr/local & /etc, you can only tar those directories with
  '(cd /; tar cf /dev/rst0 usr/local etc)'

reinstall NetBSD with bigger partition sizes and read your backup back when
you're done. If backup everything, you can also boot the installer, say that
you don't want to install and partition/newfs/mount and restore things by
hand. The latter method is faster for experienced users, but you really
have to know what you are doing!

> (Talking about disc space, is there any way to mount a minix partition?)

No, and there probably will never be unless someone volunteers for it. My
idea is that there are not many people interested in this.

> Now to the CDROM: I've tried various variations on
>   mount -rt cd9660 /dev/cd0d /root/cdrom
> and the best I can come up with is 'Device not configured'.  What's
> missing?

I'm not sure - I don't have a CDROM myself - but I think that you should
use /dev/cd0a...

[ ... ]

> OK, I've cc'd the list.  Is it archived BTW?

Yes, another advantage of using the list ;-) Look at:
    ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/NetBSD/mailing-lists/port-atari

Leo.