Subject: Re: Success!
To: Dan Hastings <dan_hastings@uk.ibm.com>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 12/02/1996 21:54:40
Dan Hastings wrote:

> OK! It works. :)
Great!

> I've sucessfully installed NetBSD 1.2 after many hours ftp'ing it
> with no major problems. My only gripe is that the BOOT kernel has
> only 1 view rather than the more useful 2 making it no good to me
> and the BOOTX kernel has 4 views & a mouse making it a little too
> big for my 4Mb system. :(

This might be an idea to put this into the BOOT kernel. If I'm
correct, the second view won't eat any memory until it's opened.

> I am in the process of ftp'ing the kernel src (I only need ksrc12.*
> yes?) so I can build my own lean and mean kernel. ;)

Correct. In the arch directory, you can remove all but 'atari' & 'm68k'
if space is tight.

> I haven't encountered any SCSI problems this time, have had one crash
> (Panic: MMU fault) which I think was due to running out of RAM with
> the BOOTX kernel. It failed to sync disks after this crash but no
> data was lost.

Probably lots of messages of st-pool running out. These messages seem
to have a disrupting effect on the system :-(

> The only bug I've noticed so far is in the screen display - the
> screen isn't always "centered" - sometimes the right hand edge wraps
> onto the left edge. Pressing alt + function key repeatedly makes the
> screen jump about and eventually it ends up in the right place, but it
> is a tad annoying to have to press alt-f1 5 times instead of once. :(

Thomas did the Falcon video stuff. If I remember well, he knows about
the bug, but he has no fix for it yet.

> Other thing is that ser02 still doesn't work in 1.2 (not surprising I
> guess) but thats one thing I'll play around with once I have the
> kernel sources.

I'm pretty sure it's a matter of timing constants as except for the
timing tables, the TT & Falcon code is identical and the TT version
works....

Leo.