Subject: Re: /dev/ser02
To: None <port-atari@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dan Hastings <dan_hastings@uk.ibm.com>
List: port-atari
Date: 11/29/1996 05:49:18
*** Resending note of 28/11/96 15:17
>> the partition IDs to either GEM or BGM when I told it to install my
>> changes, and then did something unknown - maybe initialised their type
>> to TOS or something. Anyway, even when I set them back to NBR/NBS/NBU
>> netbsd won#t boot anymore. :( COmplains about somekind of partition
>> type error. I can't recall the exact message, but the end result is
> This message might be important. If I know what it is, I can look it up
> in the source. The worst the program could have done is the creation of
> a GEM filesystem. Just hope it only scrambled the bootblock.

The message was "Bad TOS partition table" and as far as I can tell was
triggered by one of the partitions being set to "hidden". Don't ask me
how it ended up like that. I turned the partition back on and reset
the partition IDs and netbsd-1.1 came back in one piece. *phew*

I recovered the ch_pid program and changed the new partition's ID to
NBU - the result of this was that the entire drive disappeared from
TOS, including the remaining BGM TOS partition. :( I had to change it
back again so that I can use the TOS parition from TOS. I think this is
because the HD has 5 partitions so 2 of them use the extended partition
thing. Hence when I change one of the IDs (which Edge shows as BGM*)
both partitions are "gone" as far as TOS is concerned. *sigh*

Atm, I've left the partition ID as BGM and newfs'd it anyway - I'm using
it for user home directories and have it all backed up. I'm hoping as
long as I don't get TOS to write to it, it'll all be ok anyway.

> Try to fsck the root filesystem. If it complains about the superblock,
> try using an alternate like: 'fsck_ffs -b 32 /dev/......'

Fortunately everything fsck'd ok. :)

> (a) is not needed. The partition id should be NBU. newfs the partition
> added (not always /dev/sd0d !) and then mount it.

Well in my case it was sd0d hence thats what I put. ;) Now that its
all working again, my plan is to upgrade to 1.2 - this will probably
take place over the weekend, so expect some comments on Monday.

Hopefully the comments will be "It works! Hurray!".
Thanks for the help...