Subject: Re: installing X
To: None <orb@ee.washington.edu>
From: Markus Kilbinger <kilbi@rad.rwth-aachen.de>
List: port-atari
Date: 11/09/1996 12:04:08

    Kyle> I have managed to get X working on my atari-- turns out i
    Kyle> didn't have devices for grf<N_ITE+1> and view<N_ITE+1>.
    Kyle> Once i fixed that everything works fine.  Or somewhat fine--

    Kyle> I was having a problem with my keyboard prior to using X.
    Kyle> They keymap was kind of wierd-- the '@' (shift + 2) mapped
    Kyle> to a '"' and lots of other wierd keyboard mappings were
    Kyle> happening.  I fixed this by modifying

I sounds like you have the german keyboard layout?

    Kyle> /usr/src/sys/arch/atari/dev/kbdmap.c (mainly the
    Kyle> preprocessor conditionals were backwards for my keyboard).

    Kyle> So everything was fine, until i got X working.  Now when i
    Kyle> pop up an xterm, the keyboard map is back to how it was
    Kyle> originally defined.  Is their an easy way to fix the
    Kyle> keyboard mapping that will work with X?

You are free to install you own keymap for X. `xmodmap' is the
appropriate program to install it (I put it into `Xsetup...'). I'll
append my _german_ map file which you certainly have to modify:

!
! This is a xmodmap input file for the german atari st/tt falcon keyboard
! Version 1.1 by Markus Kilbinger on Mon Nov 20 23:55:17 MET 1995
! [++kilbi@rad.rwth-aachen.de]
!
keycode   1 = Escape Escape
keycode   2 = 1 exclam
keycode   3 = 2 quotedbl
keycode   4 = 3 section
keycode   5 = 4 dollar
keycode   6 = 5 percent
keycode   7 = 6 ampersand
keycode   8 = 7 slash
keycode   9 = 8 parenleft
keycode  10 = 9 parenright
keycode  11 = 0 equal
keycode  12 = ssharp question
keycode  13 = apostrophe grave
keycode  14 = BackSpace
keycode  15 = Tab
keycode  16 = q Q
keycode  17 = w W
keycode  18 = e E
keycode  19 = r R
keycode  20 = t T
keycode  21 = z Z
keycode  22 = u U
keycode  23 = i I
keycode  24 = o O
keycode  25 = p P
keycode  26 = udiaeresis Udiaeresis at backslash
keycode  27 = plus asterisk
keycode  28 = Return Linefeed
keycode  29 = Control_L
keycode  30 = a A
keycode  31 = s S
keycode  32 = d D
keycode  33 = f F
keycode  34 = g G
keycode  35 = h H
keycode  36 = j J
keycode  37 = k K
keycode  38 = l L
keycode  39 = odiaeresis Odiaeresis bracketleft braceleft
keycode  40 = adiaeresis Adiaeresis bracketright braceright
keycode  41 = numbersign asciicircum
keycode  42 = Shift_L
keycode  43 = asciitilde bar
keycode  44 = y Y
keycode  45 = x X
keycode  46 = c C
keycode  47 = v V
keycode  48 = b B
keycode  49 = n N
keycode  50 = m M
keycode  51 = comma semicolon
keycode  52 = period colon
keycode  53 = minus underscore
keycode  54 = Shift_R
keycode  56 = Mode_switch
keycode  57 = space
keycode  58 = Alt_R Meta_R
keycode  59 = F1
keycode  60 = F2
keycode  61 = F3
keycode  62 = F4
keycode  63 = F5
keycode  64 = F6
keycode  65 = F7
keycode  66 = F8
keycode  67 = F9
keycode  68 = F10
keycode  71 = Home Clear
keycode  72 = Up Prior
keycode  74 = KP_Subtract
keycode  75 = Left Begin
keycode  77 = Right End
keycode  78 = KP_Add
keycode  80 = Down Next
keycode  82 = Insert
keycode  83 = Delete
keycode  96 = less greater
keycode  97 = Undo Break
keycode  98 = Help Menu
keycode  99 = parenleft
keycode 100 = parenright
keycode 101 = KP_Divide
keycode 102 = KP_Multiply
keycode 103 = KP_7
keycode 104 = KP_8
keycode 105 = KP_9
keycode 106 = KP_4
keycode 107 = KP_5
keycode 108 = KP_6
keycode 109 = KP_1
keycode 110 = KP_2
keycode 111 = KP_3
keycode 112 = KP_0
keycode 113 = KP_Decimal
keycode 114 = KP_Enter

clear Shift
clear Lock
clear Control
clear Mod1
clear Mod2
clear Mod3
clear Mod4
clear Mod5

add Shift	 = Shift_L Shift_R
!add Lock	 = Caps_Lock
add Control	 = Control_L Control_R
add Mod1	= Alt_R
add Mod3	= Mode_switch

The keycodes are the original atari scan codes. Behind the `=' sign
you find the non-shift and shift function of the key, in some cases
additinal functions if the Mode_switch key (in my case Caps Lock) is
pressed.

Markus.