Subject: Re: installing X
To: Kyle Farrell <orb@ee.washington.edu>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 11/01/1996 10:08:40
Hi Kyle,

> i'm having trouble installing X11 on my atari.  I got the libraries,
> binaries & all from an ftp site (sorry, i forgot the site name).  I've
> addded 'ldconfig /usr/local/X11R6' to my rc.local file.  When i try the
> 'startx' command, i get the following:
>
> -----
> xopen_view(): Cross-device link
>
> Fatal server error:
> no screens found
> giving up.
> xinit:  Connection refused (errno 61):  unable to connect to X server
> xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.
> -----
>
> any ideas?  I think he install notes mention the binaries are for NetBSD 1.0.
I do not recognize this error, but I can provide some checkpoints:
    - You got the X(daniver)-server from the NetBSD/Atari-current directory?
      The Amiga & Atari X-servers are not interchangable!
    - You have a kernel where the number of views is at least one higher
      than the number of ite's?
    - There are devices for grf<N_ITE+1> and view<N_ITE+1>?

> btw- is it possible to get a serial connection faster than 19200 on the TT?
> my 28.8 wants to be pushed to the limit :)
This *should* work. At some point however you will get in trouble with the
interrupt rate (the bloody chip only has a 3-byte fifo :-( ).
What exactly is the problem when setting the speed?

Leo.