Subject: Re: installation problems
To: Kyle Farrell <orb@ee.washington.edu>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 09/30/1996 12:26:56
Kyle Farrell wrote:

> > This won't solve the problems for those using the ICD utilities though.
> > ICD does put some weird values in the bad sector list fields that make NetBSD
> > think that the disk is emtpy. I've send Kyle a kernel that ignores those
> > values, just to see if that might be a solution. As soon as I have any
> > info from Kyle, I'll let you know.
>
> I'm happy to say the kernel Leo sent me works!  i managed to go through
> the entire installation procedure without a problem.  I had just finished
> repartitioning my disk (with ICD) prior to the installation.  I didn't
> install "icdboot.sys" on the disk though (probably not a good idea since
> this caused minor havoc later on).
Great! It looks look both problems have been tackled now!

> the installation was actuall easy & went smooth.  everything appears to
> work fine, though i haven't tried an awful lot yet.  I did notice that
> the 'ps' utiliity is reporting wierd things:
> % ps
> proc size mismatch (8424 total, 644 chunks)
> anyone know what this means?
As I wrote you, when I offered you a new kernel, you got a 1.2-current kernel,
no 1.2 kernel. This is the cause for some programs using libkvm not working
properly. Now that you kernel is working allright, I'm going to get the
1.2 sources from tape and compile a new kernel for you. This might take a
day or 2. If you plan to compile your own kernel, I can also send you the
stuff as a patch. I will compile 'icd' kernels anyway and upload them to
ftp.netbsd.org.

Leo.