Subject: Re: NetBSD blues
To: None <leo@ahwau.ahold.nl>
From: George Simunovich <george@cia-g.com>
List: port-atari
Date: 09/28/1996 19:11:09
Hello all,

I have also had very similar problems installing NetBSD-1.2 on a Falcon
with the ICD utilities.  I have been able to install it only after
formating and partitioning with the Atari utilities while still
booting with ICDBOOT.SYS.  Details follow:

First, while trying to install with the boot disk I was getting the
instbin problem (usage message).  I got around this problem by
grabbing the generic kernel from the atari/kernels directory on
ftp.netbsd.org and booting with the generic kernel ("-b generic").
The install program starts running.

Next, I was able to label which partitions, NBD & NBS, where for
NetBSD.  I believe that install uses "edahsi" for that step.
But labeling with "edlabel"(???) for sd0a, sd0b, sd0c came up with
the starting block, length and type set to 0, c (total disk) seemed correct.
d (GEMDOS partition) didn't even show up.  So, I changed these values
to what they where suppose to be and continued.  Everything seemed to
go OK for the NetBSD partions but this wiped out the GEMDOS partition that
couldn't be mounted or even recongized by the ICD utils. This left
me with NetBSD partitions that could be mounted and used but no
way to get boot.tar.gz and etc.tar.gz from the GEMDOS partition.

I then tried this several times, but at best it kept messing up
the GEMDOS partition.  I had to "zero" the disk between each
try or other bad things happened.

Finally, I formated and repartitioned the disk with the Atari utilities,
but still booting with the ICD utils, ICDBOOT.SYS.  After that the install
went fine (using the GENERIC kernel).

So, I now have NetBSD installed and running with a GEMDOS partition being
shared and booting with ICDBOOT.

I still haven't been able to get the kernel that came with the boot floppy
to work though.  I did try booting the kernel after the install, but all
kinds of bad things happened.  It seems to me that it's a problem the
the kernel on the boot disk, not with the miniroot disks, plus
the ICD utilities not being 100% to standard.

Now my very own problem.  After getting it to install I cann't get
the modem2 port to work (still with the GENERIC kernel).  I'm currently
grabbing the comp.tar.gz and the kernel sources to try and compile my
own kernel.  When I try "cu -l /dev/mdm02" it connects and the TR light
on the modem comes on.  When I try to type something it says "Input/Output
error".  Any ideas?

Enough problems and on to a question.  As I understand it, the "LAN port"
on the Falcon is just a serial port, serial2.  So, could this be used to
run PPP over and connect to another computer via a null-modem cable?
Just how fast can the serial2 port be set at?  And just where can you
find a connector for it?

George

George Simunovich <george@cia-g.com>