Subject: Re: NetBSD blues
To: Kyle Farrell <orb@ee.washington.edu>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-atari
Date: 09/28/1996 22:36:19
Kyle Farrell wrote:

> I'm guessing here, but i think that their are two problems (possible
> related?  i don't know).  One is the 1.2 installation disks.  The second
> is the ICD Pro Utilities.
I'm not sure if they are related either, but it's suspicious that both
you and michiel are using the ICD-utils.

> ICD numbers the devices connected to the TT scsi port 8-15 and devices
> connected to their Adscsi host adapter 0-7.  Since i don't need the host
> adapter (the TT has a scsi port), my drives are numbered 8 and 9.
> The aptck.ttp program cannot find anything when given the arguments s00.
> However, if i run 'aptck.ttp a00' (i have nothing connected to the acsi
> port) I get the info on my internal scsi drive:
Looks like ICD maps everything like it is connected to the ACSI-bus.

> Device     : a00 (ACSI target 0 lun 0) [unknown]
> Medium size: 1057758 sectors
> Sector size: 512 bytes
>
> Start of bad sector list : 0
Ouch! Reading though the kernel code:
	 if either the start or end of the bad-sector list is zero, don't
    accept this as an AHDI formatted disk.....
It looks like the ICD utils is not conforming to the AHDI standards! This
must be at least part of the problem. I could turn this into a warning for
the moment to find out if this is the only problem.
Drop me a mail about this.

[ .... ]
> Total number of partitions    : 8
> Unknown label format.
This is what the kernel thinks of your disk :-(

> aptck doesn't seem to be liking the drive too much (why all the bad
> sectors?  ICD doesn't report this).  I have formatted my drive with ICD
> to be AHDI compatible.  When i start the loadbsd.ttp program, it does
> correctly report my drive "sd0 at scsibus0 targ 0 lun 0".  Though i'm
> still not able to open a shell even with the new 1.2 miniroot. :(
I get the feeling that the 1.2 installer somehow wants something from the
disk - although *what* is still a mistery to me.

Leo.