Subject: Re: How to install X
To: None <port-atari@NetBSD.ORG, allad000@goofy.zdv.uni-mainz.de>
From: Waldi Ravens <waldi@moacs.indiv.nl.net>
List: port-atari
Date: 01/26/1996 21:36:20
Hallo Dirk,

> following situation: I got an X11R6 distribution (from
> ftp.fu-berlin.de), a new NetBSD 1.1 kernel (#69) and installed both.
> Now I started X by 'startx' and got the message 'no screen found'.
> What went wrong? Which config files do I have to edit (/etc/ttys
> perhaps)?

The X server needs a view. So indeed you should edit /etc/ttys,
just disable getty on one of the ttye? devices.

> Another problem (I'm stupid I think...). I cannot alter st_pool_size
> with binpatch. Each time I try I get the message back 'symbol not
> found'. What do I do wrong?

This is what `nm -ng /netbsd | grep pool' tells me:

	0008cf8c D _st_pool_size
	0009460c B _st_pool_phys
	000950d4 B _st_pool_virt

With `binpatch -l -o 8192 -s _st_pool_size /netbsd' you can examine
the current value, use the -r option to change it, for example:

	binpatch -l -o 8192 -s _st_pool_size -r 0x40000 /netbsd

> PS: anybody here who mounted a msdos-partition on a ZIP-Drive?

If the ZIP-drive was partitioned under msdos this won't work.
The problem is not the file system format (the NetBSD/atari
msdosfs-driver will accept both gemdos and msdos file systems),
but the partition table. Currently only AHDI and NBDA format
are supported.

I've done some work on support for msdos partition tables, but
unfortunately the i386 port is rather weird. Currently I'm
more interested in support for sun disk labels.

Waldi